Saturday, May 11, 2013

Tokyo Story

First, I'd like to apologize that this was not posted earlier.

Ozu's Tokyo Story really shocked me. I did not have any idea of what to expect and by the time the credits rolled by, I had undergone so many different things and was really searching within myself for some meaning in these things and in life. For some reason, which I didn't know at the time and had to really search for as the credits rolled, all of this- everything that had occurred in the movie really had a resonance within me. Tokyo Story was really a movie to me which got better the more I put into it.

I really thought the idea of cutting out to static landscape shots was a really interesting choice like mentioned in the reading. For me personally, it served as a time for me to reflect on what was going on in the movie as well as how it related to me. This action was a very meditative on at least for me while I was watching it. It also helped separate up the actions of the film nicely and really gave a larger scope to the events of the piece- as in they occurred in a realistic time frame instead of all at once.

One of the reasons the movie was so successful for me was the use of the everyday. I was really able to sink myself into the film and grasp what was going on due to how normal everything felt. I really listened truthfully much more and was able to reach my own conclusions and feelings based on what was going on. The movie functioned transcendentally very well for me because of its use of the everyday and the implications of it above all else. I've never seen any movie like this before- it has lots of "imperfections" (it strays from traditional conventions) yet because of it and everything else it is able to impact me in a novel way.

No comments:

Post a Comment